Borough Market’s Demonstration Kitchen residencies are back after a short winter break. Running every Thursday in the Market Hall, these series of cooking demonstrations focus on a particular theme each month. This month: the British Isles
This month’s residency travels the British Isles, stopping off at geographical regions responsible for producing some of the incredible produce available every week in the Market.
Find more details on chefs and menus below. Demo kitchens are free to attend with tasters, cooking tips and recipe cards to take home.
Thursday 3rd May - 1-2.30pm
Emily Watkins - Field and Furrow
Award winning chef and Great British Menu winner, Emily takes her cue from the crops that our farmers are cultivating around the country come rain or, hopefully, shine.
- Confit chicken breast in rapeseed oil, wilted rape leaves and lemon & chilli rapeseed mayo
- Oatmeal risotto with spinach and English ricotta
- Carrot cake & carrot sorbet, with carrot pickle
Thursday 10th May - 1-2.30pm
Hayden Groves - Hill and Dale
Focusing on native cattle, livestock and game with the quality and provenance that traders at Borough Market have built their reputations and livelihoods on, former National Chef of the Year, Hayden, knows what it takes to produce meat of quality and will be doing all in his considerable powers to do it justice.
- Salad of pigeon, young beets and hazelnuts
- Carpaccio of venison, celeriac and horseradish slaw, ruby plums
- Kid goat cutlets, with baked jersey royals, asparagus and wild garlic
- Flat iron Steak, Roquefort Butter
Thursday 17 May - 1-2.30pm
Leah Hyslop - Urban London
We move closer to home with the third demo in our residency as London-based food and drink writer Leah explores the produce created in the capital by our traders, drawing on research from her debut cookbook ‘Made in London’, a celebration of London's vibrant food scene past and present.
- The Queen Mother's Cocktail
- Pea, honeyed saucisson and whipped goat's cheese salad
- Omelette Arnold Bennett
- Deep-dish chocolate cookie
Thursday 24 May - 1-2.30pm
Luke Robinson - The Islands
We’ve lured Luke from his kitchen at Evelyn’s Table - Blue Posts, where he presides behind the counter of one of the hottest openings in town. The beauty of produce from the Isles is not lost on this chef who prizes flavour and purity, so expect ingredients from the Isle of Wight, Orkney, the Shetlands, Jersey and Guernsey presented by a chef with an artist’s eye for beauty.
- Scallop crudo with Isle of Wight tomatoes, tigers milk and cucumber
- Stornaway black pudding, quails egg, piquillo peppers and broad beans
- Island mess - Jersey cream, strawberries and meringue shards