The Governance of Borough Market
Borough Market – the only fully independent market in London – is owned by a charitable trust, The Borough Market (Southwark), run by a board of volunteer Trustees.
According to the formal objectives laid out in its Charity Commission registration, the Trust’s commitments are to provide a market as a public amenity.
In addition to these registered objectives, Borough Market seeks to provide an accessible and inclusive destination for all our shoppers; whether they be local residents coming to buy their weekly shop, local workers coming to buy their lunch, groups of school children coming to learn about fresh produce, or members of the London restaurant trade coming to discover and be inspired by new products.
As a charity, everything we do flows from our charitable objects and we strive to:
- offer a diverse range of quality British and international produce, which is honestly priced and ethically sourced;
- make the Market more accessible to all members of the local community, by extending the range of produce on offer and improving the physical layout;
- provide an environment where our traders can share their knowledge and expertise to inspire and educate their customers;
- provide a regular programme of educational events;
- work with social enterprises and encourage new businesses.
The Trust has reaffirmed these objectives in its core values.